By Loren Bliese
Read or Download A Generative Grammar of Afar PDF
Similar linguistics books
From the refinement of basic technique, to new insights of synchronic and diachronic universals, to reports of particular phenomena, this assortment demonstrates the the most important function that language facts play within the evolution of helpful, actual linguistic theories.
Issues addressed comprise the decision of which means in typological reports; a polished realizing of diachronic approaches via together with intentional, social, statistical, and level-determined phenomena; the reconsideration of different types comparable to sentence, evidential or adposition, and constructions resembling compounds or polysynthesis; the strain among formal simplicity and sensible readability; the inclusion of bizarre platforms in theoretical debates; and clean methods to chinese language classifiers, ownership in Oceanic languages, and English element.
This is a cautious number of papers provided on the overseas Symposium on Linguistic range and Language Theories in Boulder, Colorado. the aim of the Symposium used to be to confront basic concerns in language constitution and alter with the wealthy edition of kinds and capabilities saw throughout languages.
* transparent, common technique makes the direction effortless to stick to * Key subject components, plenty of comparable vocabulary and crucial grammar paintings provide you with every little thing you would like for the examination * a whole perform try on the finish of the ebook permits timed perform * Accompanying examination perform Workbook offers follow-up paintings and examination perform for every lesson
- American Indian Languages: The Historical Linguistics of Native America
- Between Grammar and Rhetoric: Dionysius of Halicarnassus on Language, Linguistics and Literature (Mnemosyne, Bibliotheca Classica Batava Supplementum)
- The Awful German Language
- System Specification and Design Languages: Best of FDL'02 (The Chdl Series)
- Women Writers Dramatized: A Calendar of Performances from Narrative Works Published in English to 1900 (Novels on Stage, V. 3)
- Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics: Papers from the Annual Symposium on Arabic Linguistics. Volume X: Salt Lake City, 1996
Extra info for A Generative Grammar of Afar
S4 .............. -t by a'nu I akri 'ye-m read akri 'ye-em-it bar't-e-m know learn a-aei'ge-m me'ce I Pead-nom-by I leaPn-pePf-nom I,impf-know-nom good That I know that I learned by reading is good. The following sentence shows a sentence expansion of the direct object of a transitive matrix verb. sl 'usuk na'nu we he yaaai 'ge -------......... Postp phr digir'na-m NP~S r--_ NP he knows we play Postp ~~-~I we yab'na-am-at we talk na'nu 'usuk na'nu yab'na-am-at di 1 gir- 1 n-a-m he we y-aaai'ge say-we-nom-by play-we-impf-nom he-knows He knows that we play by talking.
El' le iy- 1 y-e-h sug-'e saa'cat-al (John 4:53) at say-he-perf-part had-he,perf hour-at at the hour at which he said (or a 1 tu a'nu a'kah el 1 le) ge'El-e t-a-aei 1 ge bu'Ela you I about (or to) go-I,perf village you-impf-know You know about the village to which I went. 2 below). 1 usuk he 1 1 wokke- l ken 1 l uk daffe 1 ye-h s i 1 nam that-place-at them with he sat-having people 1 el le acim'miduk su 1 ge (John 3:22) there baptising he was Having stayed at that place he was baptising people there.
Irregular ( 11 stative 11 ) verbs in relatives have only the basic form of third person singular no matter what person or number the head noun may happen to be. ) If a predicate noun complement is the head of a relative with a pronoun subject, the verb agrees only with that noun irregardless of the person and number of the coreferential subject. For example, a vocative noun which is the head of a relative does not have second but third person agreement, unlike English (see Mat. 6:9, and see I Cor.
- Finding Your Element: How to Discover Your Talents and by Ken Robinson Ph.D., Lou Aronica
- Foreign Direct Investments in Asia by Chalongphob Sussangkarn, Yung Chul Park, Sung Jin Kang